Don’t get burned staying warm

When Old Man Winter is at his worst, Roanoke residents just want to stay warm. Sometimes, if the heating system in your house isn’t quite up to the task, it can be convenient to use a space heater to help stay comfortable.

Space heaters are not without their dangers, though, and homeowners need to be careful. Portable heating equipment is one of the leading causes of home fires, according to the National Fire Protection Association. About 85 percent of deaths attributed to heating equipment fires are related to space heaters.

Helpful tips

Southern Trust Home Services wants our Roanoke neighbors to stay safe, and we’d like to share some tips on safely using space heaters in your home so you can stay warm and comfy without worry. Here are some things to keep in mind.

  • Proper placement. Keep anything flammable at least three feet away from the space heater. This also goes for other sources of heat including fireplaces, furnaces, and wood stoves.
  • Turn them off. If you’re not going to be in the room, turn the space heater off. Don’t leave it running when you go to bed.
  • Protect yourself. If you want to use a kerosene or propane heater, you have to be very careful that it is rated for indoor use. Don’t risk carbon monoxide poisoning. It wouldn’t hurt to crack a window when using it, and consider installing a CO detector for your peace of mind.

Upgrade your heating system

The best way to protect yourself? Don’t use space heaters at all. If your heating system isn’t keeping your home comfortable, it might be time to consider upgrading it. Not only can an efficient new heating system keep your house warmer, it can save you money in the long run with lower utility bills. Call the experts at Southern Trust today at (540) 343-4348 for more information.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *