With utility costs expected their continued rise in 2023, a homeowner might add “improving my energy efficiency” to their New Year’s Resolution list.
While simple fixes like weather stripping windows and doors and unplugging unused electronics will save you some cash, it’s the big-ticket items that will really make a dent in your utility costs.
Your Roanoke heating, plumbing and electrical experts at Southern Trust Home Services know that it may be difficult to afford all the changes, but recommends that you evaluate your home’s energy score to determine the best places to start.
Here are some recommendations:
- Invest in a smart thermostat. These little wonders reduce your carbon footprint by “learning” your home and your families’ needs. They allow you to maintain your ideal home temperature when you’re at home or away with little effort.
- Make smart water choices. Installing low-flower showerheads, faucets and toilets can help you save on your water usage. Consider replacing dripping faucets and fixing running toilets. You should also have your plumbing inspected regularly to ensure you don’t have any hidden leaks.
- Install energy efficient appliances and home systems. In addition to more eco-friendly refrigerators, dish washers, washing machines and dryers, homeowners should take stock of their home’s heating and cooling systems and water heaters. If any of these systems are nearing the end of their expected lifespan or are often in need of repair, it may be time to consider replacing them with newer, more energy-efficient units.
- Upgrade your wiring. If you still have a fuse box or don’t have any GFCI outlets in your kitchen and bathroom, it may be time to upgrade. Adding circuit breakers, replacing bad wiring and updating your outlets can help you save money on utility costs.
- Improve your insulation. Your insulation breaks down over time and loses its ability to protect your home from the elements. If your home is older or your insulation looks thin, consider having it replaced with newer rolls or even blown-in insulation.
It’s no secret that the cost of heating and cooling your home has gone up and so has the price of water, so saving money on your energy bills may be your top priority. Or you may simply want to lessen your carbon footprint by lowering your energy consumption. Either way, 2023 is a great time to begin planning an energy-efficient makeover.
At Southern Trust, we can help you plan for these changes and work with you on financing. Give us a call today at (540) 264-3890 to start your journey to a more eco-friendly home.
And Happy New Year!