Between rate increases and inflation caused by the pandemic and the war in Ukraine, Virginia homeowners can expect their utility bills to go up by 12 to 20% this summer.
But there are ways homeowners can offset some of these costs by ensuring their homes are running as efficiently as possible.
- Get your air conditioner serviced. A clean filter and an HVAC unit that has been serviced will run far more efficiently. In fact, changing the filter, alone, can save up to 15% on your utility bill.
- Upgrade your thermostat. Opting to use a smart thermostat can also help homeowners save money this season. Not only can you control the temperature from your smartphone no matter where you are, some of these thermostats also learn your habits so they can adjust to cool your home at optimal times.
- Keep your vents and ducts clean. You may have a clean filter, but if your ductwork and vents are dirty, your system has to work harder to push cool air throughout your house. You can use an old toothbrush and warm soapy water to clean the vents; however, if you need the ductwork clean, you might need to call a professional.
- Seal your home. You can lose cool air through the cracks around your windows and doors. By caulking the immobile parts of your windows and doors, applying weatherstripping where necessary and sealing loose ductwork, you can keep the cool air in.
- Close the blinds. While it’s certainly nice to see plush lawns and neighborhood wildlife, if you relegate your window watching to the morning or evening and close the blinds or curtains in the heat of the afternoon, you can keep your AC from having to work harder to beat the heat.
And, if all else fails, you may need to consider a newer, more energy-efficient HVAC system. It may cost more on the front end, but if it means saving you money while providing your family with reliable air conditioning, it is probably worth the investment.
If Southern Trust can help you with any of your cooling needs, please give us a call at (540) 264-3890 or request a service call online. We are dedicated to providing you with all the repairs, maintenance and installations your air conditioning could ever need.