Spring is in the air.
But so are a lot of allergens and other pollutants that can give you itchy eyes, a runny nose and other breathing difficulties.
So, what can you do to maximize your indoor air quality (IAQ) so that you can enjoy the warm days that have emerged from winter?
Here’s some tips to help you and your family minimize the irritants:
- Schedule to have your HVAC system serviced. Dirty air filters and dusty ductwork can cause a variety of pollutants to be cycled throughout your home. A professional HVAC checkup can help clean up some of the debris that has built up in your home’s HVAC system throughout the year.
- Take your shoes off when entering the home. Our shoes can track in all sorts of dust and pollen that can then be transferred all through the house. If you leave your shoes at the door, you reduce the risk of spreading these irritants.
- Install an air purifier. Adding an air filtration system, purifier or humidification system can clean your home’s indoor air by either filtering out the dirty air or purifying the air to destroy biological contaminants like mold, mildew and bacteria.
- Brush your pets regularly. Like our shoes, pets can also track in pollutants on their fur. Keeping your pet brushed and shampooed regularly can reduce these irritants.
- Vacuum your carpets often. Even if you brush your pet and remove your shoes, your carpets and rugs can still collect outdoor pollutants that can cause you respiratory illnesses. Vacuuming them often and emptying the vacuum of that debris can help reduce their build up.
- Make sure your pipes aren’t leaking. Leaky water pipes and gas or other utility lines can release an array of unhealthy and even potentially lethal gasses throughout the home. In addition to an HVAC maintenance service, homeowners should also have their plumbing and gas lines checked by a professional often to lessen the instance of gas leaks.
The professionals at Southern Trust Home Services want you to enjoy the spring by improving your IAQ. As a leading provider of home IAQ products and services, your Roanoke heating and air conditioning experts take pride in our ability to customize air quality solutions for our customers.
If we can help you clean your HVAC system or if you need advice on which air filter would work best in your home, visit our website or give us a call at (540) 305-8559.