Holidays are stressful enough without having to worry about the toilet clogging up or the furnace not heating while your family is visiting your home from out of town.
Remember that having more people in the house can put excess strain on your home’s plumbing, electrical and climate control systems, so one of the best things you can do shortly before holidays is to prepare yourself and your home for the busy season ahead.
Here are some tips to ensure your holiday season doesn’t end up looking like something from a National Lampoon holiday comedy movie:
- Schedule a heating system tune-up. Whether your have a furnace, HVAC system or boiler, scheduling a maintenance call to have your system checked can save headaches later in the winter. Regular maintenance also ensures your system runs at its most efficient, keeps down heating costs and decreases the chance it will break down on the coldest days of the year.
- Consider an electrical safety inspection. An inspection can identify electrical problems and fire hazards before they turn serious. Having these issues identified early will also give you a chance to have them repaired before they become emergencies.
- Check your plumbing for potential problems. If your water bill is higher than usual or you have damp spots or mold around sinks, tubs, toilets or even in your walls, there is a good chance you have a plumbing issue that will definitely get worse with more people using the system. A professional plumber can use an electronic leak detector can easily pinpoint the source of your pipe leak without the hassle of knocking down walls or floors.
- Check your drains for clogs. A slow drain now can easily ramp up into a complete clog with added use. While checking for any leaks, a plumber can also inspect your drains – from sinks to toilet – for potential problems.
- Have a water heater check-up. Water heaters need annual check-ups just like humans to run at top efficiency. Make sure your guests aren’t left shivering under a cold showerhead by scheduling a yearly water heaters maintenance and tune-up.
Roanoke can be a particularly beautiful place during the holiday season so inviting family and friends to visit should remain a joyful and peaceful time. Don’t let a household complication spoil the holidays when an ounce of prevention could be the cure.
Your Roanoke plumbing experts at Southern Trust Home Services are here to help you with all your plumbing, electrical and HVAC questions. If you are ready to give your home the holiday tune-up, give us a call at (540) 343-4348.