Southern Trust can help quell the silent killer that is carbon monoxide

Southern Trust can help quell the silent killer that is carbon monoxide

It’s odorless, colorless and can kill you.

Every year, hundreds of people are killed and thousands injured after exposure to carbon monoxide.

In light of January’s designation as Carbon Monoxide Awareness Month, and our desire to keep our customers safe, here are a few fast facts about carbon monoxide and how to protect your family.

  • Know the source. The deadly gas emanates from a variety of sources, including improper use of generators during power outages – such as those caused by Roanoke snowstorms – and improperly vented gas-fired appliances.
  • Connect the spots. Southern Trust can make sure all your gas appliances are adequately vented and connected to carbon monoxide detectors. Households should have one on each floor and outside sleeping areas. They are as vital as smoke detectors.
  • Location is everything. Never run a generator indoors or close to windows or other spots carbon monoxide can intrude into your home. We can make sure any permanent, installed generator is positioned safely and within industry standards.
  • Know the symptoms. Signs of carbon monoxide poisoning, which essentially displaces oxygen in your bloodstream, include weakness, nausea, vomiting and disorientation. Acute poisoning can quickly lead to unconsciousness and death. This is why so many people succumb to carbon monoxide poisoning in their sleep.
  • Keep vents clear. Make sure your exterior vents are kept clear of snow or debris or blockage.
  • Fireplaces are sources. Only burn cured wood in your stove or fireplace, and regularly check your flue, hearth and chimney for leaks. Never burn trash or coal in a standard fireplace or woodstove.

There are many menaces to your family’s health out there, but with proper precautions, the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning can be dramatically lessened. Contact us today or call 540-343-4348 to make sure your gas appliances are properly vented and connected to a central carbon monoxide detector.

Skip to content